If you have ever walked inside of your local supermarket, office building, or dealership, you might have felt an ethereal airstream wash over you. Don’t worry though, as that wasn’t a ghost you just walked through, but rather it was the work of an air curtain, specifically designed to output a constant stream of air in order to keep your shopping or business experience at maximum comfort.
An air curtain, or air door, is a device used to create a shield of air between two spaces, in order to keep the conditions of each space separate. The air curtain has a wide range of uses, but most often, the device will be installed above a main entryway of a business, in order to maintain the indoor condition of the room, all whilst keeping the outside elements out, be it the cold winter winds, or hot summer breezes.
How does an air curtain work?
When mounted above a door, an air curtain takes in the air conditioned air in the room, and blows it downwards, forcing a constant downstream of air, which acts as a barrier. This prevents any outside air from drifting in, maintaining the air conditioned surrounding as well as any air impurities such as dust, fumes, or insects. You can also adjust the airstream angle, in order to account for anything that can partially break the airstream barrier, like strong winds etc.
What are the advantages of an Air Curtain?
There is an overwhelming amount of advantages to using air curtains in commerce and for your business, both big and small. Here are some of the ways the air curtains can not only save you money, but make you comfortable at all times:
Advantages for commercial use:
- An air curtain will help your business maintain a desired environment. It can prevent heat as well as cold from escaping, providing more comfort and savings on energy bills.
- The entry to your business can always be open. This allows potential customers to see into your business, providing a more inviting atmosphere than a business with closed doors.
- This will also provide easy access to your business. There are no heavy doors which obstruct the entrance, meaning the customer can just walk in. This is especially useful when customers are holding prams, wheelchairs etc.
- You can maximise the space usage of your business, as the open doorway will provide more floorspace. This allows you to put signs or stands with products with no obstructions.
- The air curtain will also help control the climate, keeping out bugs or uncomfortable sensations like cold draughts or hot air. This in turn will make the staff and customers feel more comfortable.
- Using an air curtain in the winter will prevent ice from forming on your entry doorway. This is great as slippery ice could potentially harm your customers.
- In case of an emergency, it provides easy evacuation as there is no obstruction when exiting your business.
- The air curtain is also more environmentally friendly than full air conditioning. It costs less energy to run and reduces your carbon footprint.
Taking all the advantages of an air curtain into consideration, it is important that you choose the right air curtain when deciding which one to purchase. depending on your application and operation of an air curtain, There are three main types to choose from:
What are the different types of Air Curtain?
- Water heated air curtains work just like the radiators in your home, and use hot water in order to create hot air in the air curtain. This is a flexible option as you can heat the water using any available power source, like electricity or gas.
- Electrically heated air curtains work using electricity as the only power source. This can get expensive on large premises such as warehouse doors or loading docks, however it’s a viable option on smaller entryways, such as a shop or office entry. this is also an environmentally friendly option, especially if your business draws power from solar panels.
- Gas heated air curtains use gas as a main power source. If gas is the only power source at your business, then this is the type to go for as these air curtains use a heat exchanger system which is very efficient.
Hopefully this blog has answered all of your questions regarding what air curtains are, how they work, as well as the different types of air curtains that can be used. For any more information, or to get in contact, feel free to explore the other sections of the website!